Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Valleywag Google Phone Screenshots


Valleywag is claiming to have exclusive first screenshots of a Google Phone app. The app appears to something called WhatsOpen.com that combines search terms with your geo location (which you apparently won't have to input manually) to tell you what businesses are open around you along with other useful information (address, telephone, etc).

My first thought is, that's pretty awesome. However, privacy issues aside, the one big immediate flaw might be the local information supplied by Google (I'm assuming that's what Google has in mind in terms of making $). Google Maps on the iPhone has been a huge let down for me in the past. It couldn't tell me the correct closest Starbucks in downtown Chicago. From my experience, Google's local information is incomplete and inaccurate. However, that could easily change if local businesses have enough motivation to supply Google with updated information.

No comments:

Post a Comment